Thursday, September 3, 2015

I am Third by Gale Sanders


Review by Hai N.
Introduction
How can racism happen in sports? Does the skin color matter? These question were brought to my mind when I read the book summary on the internet. I was curious to know how racism can affect the life of a football player. Read this book, and it will blow your mind.
Synopsis
This book is all about Gale Sayer, an All American running back in high school, Kansas University star player, and all pro running back for the Chicago Bears. The book talks about his life, how he loves football, and all the challenges Gale face in his life. Do you ever question why the only All American player in the state did not get the best player in state award? Just because he is black?  Gale Sayer had a tough high school and college life, just because he was black. The idea of racism had brought him down, but he fought over this and still became successful.
Praise
Gale Sayers maybe one of the best running backs in the NFL history, but he is also a great person. According to the book, he once planned on attending a party, but he heard that one of his teammates had cancer and he was in the hospital, Gale did not got to the party,instead, he went to the hospital. This action shows that Gale Sayer is a great person. When he went pro, he spent his money to improve his family life; he cares more about others than himself. One of the great details I learnt from him was that, he played for the team, not for himself. He cares about the society more than his fame. All of this action had made him the man that I truly admire

In the book, he talked a lot about football, and his life dealing with racism. His word choice will make you feel like you was there when it happened. Even though he isn’t  a book writer, he still got my attention by the way he tells the story. All the scene was described so creatively, that I feels like I was there.  I like him a lot as a football player, but through this book, I like him as a person too.
Critique
I do not really have any critiques, I think it is a really good book. If you do not really like football, you will not appreciate this book as much.  I am just saying that you will not like this book as much, but you will still appreciate Gale’s personality. This is the hardest part to write on this review, because I could not think of a negative word about this part, I just like this book a lot.
And Finally…

I think this book will make you have a different view on football, you will love the sport more. I highly recommend this book to everyone. Once you read this book, it will change your life. “ I am Third” can be one of the motto that you will follow in your life forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment