Reviewed by Arissa J.
Synopsis
In this timeless book a girl named Maclean finds herself in the situation of moving frequently because of her father’s job and because of the divorce. Her father job involves helping restaurants thrive. This required her to move in the middle of the year and she would have to constantly make new friends . Her fate is determined by the restaurant quality because she knows if the food is wonderful she will be moving soon and she can not make friends. If the food is horrid she knows that she can go out for a sports team. Her life revolves around constantly moving and having to deal with a broken family. She also has to deal on top of all this with a very emotional mother. Because of this situation Maclean changes her name every time she moves until she moves to a town where she can finally call “ home”. This book shows her journey from gypsy to a member of a town and school.
Praise
Sarah Dessen is a master at writing about the struggles of a teen that has to go through so much. She is meticulous in making sure I as a reader knows how Maclean feels she clearly states “ In my old life, I hadn’t been any of these things : not a student leader or an actress or an athlete.” She clearly depicts how Maclean is feeling and has changed. She also clearly shows the struggles that Maclean has to face every time she moves and shows that she would not have done any of these activities in her “old life”. She describes with accuracy how each time they move. He goes to the restaurant and Maclean always checks out the place and unpacks. This ritual starts a “ new identity and life” for Maclean.
Critique
I have to admit that I have one complaint. There were parts in the novel that I just wanted to read just to say I finished it. At points the plot slowed down and it lost my interest. In spite of this What Happened to Goodbye has put a new perspective on my life. I have realized that some people in this world have to deal with having a divorce and moving constantly. This makes me realise how fortunate I really am.
And Finally...
This piece of literature is sad because of a girl dealing with the cards she has been dealt. She has to face many issues that we do not have to face on a daily bases. I truly believe that every teenager should read this eye opening piece of literature. Because one day we might face this same issue that Maclean is facing right now.You will see the world in a different light. You will realize that the issues that she faces happens in real life and we should appreciate what we have.
No comments:
Post a Comment